Thursday, January 9, 2014

create an embellishment frame

I love embellishments. I think that might be my favorite part of scrapbooking. Because I run a thin line between embellishment saver to embellishment hoarder (ahem) I decided to come up with a fun way to actually use them.  Enter in an embellishment frame! January's Copper Mountain kit from Studio Calico has some awesome embellishments. I had created four layouts with the kits and still had so many great bits & pieces left that I decided to use as many as possible on one last layout. Here's how:
To create a perfectly imperfect shape for the embellishments, I used spray ink as my guide. Here, I decided to use a grey cardstock background and white Mister Huey. I simply took the lid off and used the plastic piece to draw a circle, bigger than the photo I planned to use in the middle. 
To keep the layout a bit uniform, I choose embellishments in a similar color scheme...neutral colors, with yellow, blues, and bits of a pinkish orange. I laid out some of the bigger pieces as a guide of where I wanted them to go.
Any color of thread would work, but I used a metallic silver. The circle of ink gave a rough guide of where to sew. I did about 4 laps, sewing over the lightbulb and star die cuts. 

After that, it's just a matter of placing bits and pieces where you like. Having the bigger embellishments sewn down means you just have to go back and fill in the gaps. I placed the exclusive-to-the-kits wood veneer circles, stamped images and chipboard circles first, then went back and added in smaller embellishments like sequins and enamel dots. A few splatters of ink , place the photo, stamp a mini title and done!

A great way to actually use those embellishments and make an interesting layout at the same time. Interested in starting a Studio Calico subscription? There are three different kits to choose from and right now, new subscribers receive a free Blue Note kit when signing up! Depending on the kit you sign up for, enter in that specific promo (scrapbook kit enter: COPPERSB, card kit enter: COPPERCARD, or project life kit enter: COPPERPL) to get your free it. Check it all out here.

3 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read and appreciate every one.